7 Aug 2010

Sushi, cakes and tarts...

Eating good food is one of my favorite activities, as for most Portuguese people! Am I right?! ;) Feeding is welcoming, is a way socializing, of breaking the ice, is a Life choice! And... the more the better...
I have never been adventurous enough to cook any complicated meals or any meal that required more than 1 hour of work on my own... Perhaps, because I always had my mum and grand-mum cooking delicious meals for me:) Even throughout college... thank you Tupperware! It's a pity they can't mail to this damn island...

Recently, that is, since Nuno came to UK, I have been more pro-active... always conquer the man through his bailey! :D Until one day I got home and there was SUSHI in the fridge!!!!!!!! And it was a Friday!!

The 31st July 2010!
The Friday where home-made Sushi began! And now... it's hard not to fall for the temptation of preparing sushi everyday... Yesterday we prepared some more (on the left) and there's fish left in the freezer for the next time... What an addiction!
And it's not that difficult at all. All you need is rice vinegar,, sushi rice, water, salt, sugar, algae leafs... and fish, smoked or fresh and raw vegetables at your choice! And of course... Wasabi and Soya! :)
It is delicious...

But of course... a good diet is a diverse diet, and no diet is complete without chocolate or other sweets! :) One of my favorite desserts is my mother's apple tart... On the other hand, Nuno's favorite chocolate's cake is his mum's cake. So... to be fair we ought to do both! :) What a happy weekend...!

And here is the result of a well spent afternoon! But...
The chocolate cake didn't taste exactly the same... should have used more cacao and less milk chocolate. Still, there was nothing left after 3 days...
The tart was salty, didn't know what's the equivalent of "margarina" in english, so I went for the butter... big mistake... Nonetheless, we ate everything!! lol ... And they surely look good on the screen :D I just made another one
today using vegetable "butter" with no salt, which resulted in a perfect tasty pastry :)


Another favorite dish that me and Nuno absolutely love (!!!) is "Francesinha",
a typical dish from Porto (which actually has its origins in a french recipe).
The secret lies in its sauce: a tomato-beer-based sauce that transforms a simple toast of meat and cheese into a surprisingly tasty meal! Spicy, but not too much and with such a characteristic flavor and smell that you can't miss it!
It's a proper, heavy meal to watch football and drink beer (Super Bock or Sagres)!

And today we're making some more... because it's football time! Supertaça FCPorto-SLBenfica!
Allez Porto Allez!

No comments:

Post a Comment